So, what is New Scientist?
New Scientist reports on the very latest science and technology news, putting discoveries and advances in the context of everyday life. New Scientist relates the advancements of human knowledge to the broader impacts on society and culture, making it essential reading for people who ask why. – From: Amazon.com
Here are my top 5 hottest stories from 2011
Fallible DNA evidence can mean prison or freedom
New Scientist reveals that much of the DNA analysis now conducted in crime labs can suffer from worrying subjectivity and bias.
Neutrino watch: Speed claim baffles CERN theoryfest
OPERA … announced that neutrinos traveling from CERN had apparently moved faster than light.
Move over, Einstein: Machines will take it from here
Schmidt recorded this movement using a motion tracking camera which fed numbers into his computer. What he was looking for was an equation describing the motion of the pendulums.
Note: I wrote an article over this here
How online games are solving uncomputable problems
Better than human? What’s next for Jeopardy! computer
- Well thought out and highly organized magazine.
- Scientific Job Board
- Amazing Scientific News
- Articles are easy for ordinary person to understand.
- Offers short lessons over complex topics
- “The Last Word” – answers to scientific questions about everyday phenomena.
- Topics can sometimes become repetitive
- No references for most articles.
- It’s only news, so you can’t apply want you learn.
Price: ~$99 annually (on line discounts may vary)
You can check out “New Scientist” at www.newscientist.com/