Feeling the urge to learn something new, I decided to discover what it takes to produce a video and host it on Youtube.com.
After brain storming some ideas and watching videos to see what was out there, I finally decided upon making a video tutorial on how improve one’s typing speed.
Here’s the result.
“Learn How to Type Faster in Step 3 ” is my first video that I ever made and I learned a lot from the whole process. It took about half a day to complete but that was due to the fact that I had to research what software to use. A few rules that I found along the way are to are
- Get help writing subtitles because they take a longggg time! Unfortunately for me, the auto-caption feature failed with an error message of “Machine Transition Failed”. So that left me manually writing the subtitles by hand. I spent 2 hours writing subtitles for this 14 minute video, and the worse part is I could only insert 8 minutes worth of subtitles into the video because the on-line subtitle program I was using(captionTube) crashed every time after that point.
- Upload then do something else. It’s going to be a while get all 50MB+ of your video onto youtube.com. My upload time was about 1 hour.
- Don’t record everything in one take. It’s better to record multiple takes of a segment, then join the best parts into one long video.
For those wondering, I only used free-ware software for this project. Here’s a list of what I used.
- Video editing: Windows Live Movie Maker and Avidemux.
- Audio editing: Audacity
- Video and Audio Conversion: “Super” and “iWisoft Free Video Converter”.
- Subtitles: CaptionTube Beta (A little buggy)
- Screen Capturing Software: CamStudio